Sunday, September 29, 2013

I Am Here - Ema Toyama

Milan Castro                                                                                                                      Sept.29,2013 
808                                                                                                                                                     ELA
                                                                   RR. - Character

In the book "I am here!" By Ema Toyama, the main character, Sumino Hikagi changes in many ways because of her allies and friends helping her "get into the sun". The change I notice in her the most is that her friends help her get away from her loneliness and help get her noticed. This change happens throughout the whole book.

In the beginning of the book, Sumino tells about her past and how she saved a cat from getting run over by a car but then got run over by a motorcycle because the rider claimed to not have seen her. This accident sent her to the hospital for two months. And by the time she went back to school, everyone had made cliques. Soon the end of the year came and she still didn't have friends. She was “invisible" or that's what she says she is. The only friends she has are on her blog which she has two people who comment who try to help her. Their names are Mega Pig and Black Rabbit. They blog and encourage her to do things that will get her noticed. But she believes she doesn't have the strength to do it. Then she officially meets Hinata. He is one out of the two popular guys. When he has to leave he says "goodbye Sumino!" This is an example of her changing because someone out of everyone has noticed her.

Another example of her changing is in the middle of the book is when she is waiting for Hinata to go home so they can walk together, a girl looks at her and says "Goodbye!" Then her friend says who are you talking to? And she says the hamster game. This is another example because earlier, they were playing with personality tests and Hinata invited her into the class circle. This girl talking to her is another example of her changing because now since she was in the class circle, people are starting to notice her and she is starting to not be invisible anymore.

My last example is in the end of the story on page 272 when a girl named Aya spread a rumor saying that Sumino forced Hinata into a pity date. But everyone decides to believe Sumino over Aya because Sumino told them how she was always alone and had no friends until Hinata decided to tell her he liked her ever since he saw her save that cat. She also told them that e is really important to them. This also shows that she is changing because she has the guts to tell everyone that they never knew who she was until she started hanging out with Hinata.

In conclusion, Sumino needed lots of people's help to "get into the sun".

3 comments:

  1. Dear Milan,
    I think you did a really good job with this reading response. I liked how you had a page number to show where you got your evidence from. I also liked how you stayed on the topic throughout the whole reading response. You did a really good job in turning the graphic novel in to a really well written reading response. Overall I think you did an AMAZING JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milan,
    Your reading response is very good. It explained the change in the character very much. I just have to ask is this the book you shared to the whole class? But great job by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Milan! I loved your reading response and how you organize the book from the beginning to the end. I also like how you gave good examples for each paragraph of your reading response on how Sumino changes. Great job! (PS, I love this book :D)

    ReplyDelete